Although we have seen tremendous improvement in the oral health of Americans, the journey to solving the oral health crisis is far from over. Part of achieving this mission is educating the public about the state of oral health care and access in our nation. As a small part of our efforts, we have created this infographic to spread awareness around oral health.
Did you know:
- Dental disease (cavities) is the most common chronic disease in children. It is five times more common than asthma.
- Every year across the United States, children miss 51 million school hours due to dental problems and visits, and adults lose close to 164 million work hours.
- More than a quarter of all Americans 60 years of age or older have lost all of their teeth.
- It is estimated that in 2010, Americans spent $106 billion dollars on oral care.
- About 1 in 4 non-elderly adults have untreated tooth decay. The rate among low-income adults is twice that for adults with more income (41% versus 19%).
- An estimated 17 million low-income children in America go without dental care each year. This represents about 1 out of every 5 children.
- More than 64 million Americans have moderate to severe forms of periodontal disease.
- Dental disease is nearly 100% preventable.
Any of these facts surprise you? Help us spread the word by sharing this infographic on social media. Feel free to give us a shoutout on Twitter using our handle, @DentaQuest, to join and encourage others to join the oral health online conversation.